Thursday, April 14, 2005

Thursday morning

Last night at our high school gathering known as The Harbor, a very godly woman shared her spiritual journey. She shared about prayer, and how it's taken many years to learn the true reasons for prayer. Her first prayer was at age 9 when she prayed for a friend who had been hit by a car. Sadly, the prayer seemed unanswered and her friend died of brain damage. This event and a few (and I mean very few) other prayer opportunities seriously scarred her spiritually. She's only been a Christ-follower for 4 years, and in this time she has been constantly praying for her now 4 year old daughter. Her daughter has had a hole in her heart that constantly remains a health threat, but the threat has never been serious enough to require surgery. Every year the surgery gets postponed, God is praised. It's not fun to keep praying when we all would just prefer God to heal this precious girl, but God's ways are higher than our ways so we trust God will continue to teach us things. It's not easy to trust God, but we all learn things when we do.

This morning, I was challenged by a seasoned pastor to think deeply and broadly. Many Christians read the same 3 authors their whole lives and never allow themselves to be challenged with a different point of view. I do not want to be afraid to have my views and ideas challenged. And I don't want to think it's wrong to change my opinion.

I am not sleeping long or well. This makes me irritable. I need to be more disciplined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Cast out into the deep" (Lk 5:4). Know that God is using you in ways you don't understand. Check out http://www.youthspecialties.com/articles/topics/personal_stuff/nothing.php