Saturday, June 03, 2006

web counters


First off, I'm glad to be back in the U.S.A. I will post some thoughts on our trip to Mexico later, but needless to say, we do live in a great country. It's safe (food, streets, etc.), people drive within the lanes, and the sanitation system is in full swing.

The main reason for this post is to rant against the use of webiste counters. I have to admit in my pride I want to know how many people look at this site, besides my mom. But I think the concept of a web counter is just a vain attempt to see if people think you're interesting (and you are if no one else has told you recently). But I think a web counter will always have a negative effect because only 1 or 2 options will occur and neither produce healthy results. The results are:

1. You see that only 3 people visit your site each week and you realize that's how many times you look at it. This will only produce feelings of sadness, despair, hopelessness. Really, why do we think people care about our personal diaries and political thoughts? But we do, and when no one cares to read our thoughts or even visit our site, the net result is disappointment.
2. You find out your site is as popular as the google search engine. The net result of this possibility is pride. We think we are the greatest thing since sliced bread (which is an awfully silly expression by the way). Pride is never good and actually sets us up for failure (see the ideas found under option #1) or it causes us to treat others less "web popular" than us with disdain.

Thus, I think all web counters should be shirked from the sites of people who do not want to be disappointed or who don't want to be given to pride.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I have a web counter that tells me I'm somewhere between 3 and Google. I agree with your assessment of possible options, but I'm going to keep mine. In case a lot of people accidentally start looking at my blog, I want to know so I can start watching what I say more. I don't have a counter on Jen's or Kit's pages, though, because I'm sure they get more visitors than me and I don't want to be humbled like that.