Thursday, August 24, 2006

The books craze continues . . .

1. One book that changed your life:
"Desiring God" by John Piper - I loved the book itself and it increased my passion to know God and experience Him, but even more important is how Piper introduced me to rich Calvinistic theology.

Piercing the Darkness
2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
"Piercing the Darkness" by Frank Peretti

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
The Bible.

4. One book that made you laugh:
"How to Talk to a Liberal if You Must" by Ann Coulter

My Name Is Asher Lev
5. One book that made you cry:
"My Name is Asher Lev" by Chaim Potok

6. One book that you wish had been written:
"The Continued Tales of Asher Lev"

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
I like Dan Leman's answer
Personally, I think a lot of Martin Luther's theology went a bit over the top.
One book . . . that's a tough one . . . "Mein Kampf" by Adolph Hitler

A History of Christianity in the United States and Canada
8. The book(s) you are currently reading:
"The History of Christianity in the United States and Canada" by Mark Noll (seminary class)
"The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne (reading out loud with my wife)
"The God Who is There" by Francis Shaeffer (my book at the office)
"The Lord of my Rocking Boat" by Carole Mayhall (my book at home)

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
"The Wind and the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame
Complete "The Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Finish "Jesus" and "The Resurrection of the Son of God" by N.T. Wright

1 comment:

Dan said...

Thanks for finally doing this. I especially wanted to hear from you. I wholeheartly agree with #1 for all the same reasons. You seem to think highly of Chaim Potok. I'll have to put Asher Lev on my to read list. You certainly need to get to the end of Wright's book (or you could skip to the end if you want.) I always enjoy getting to his conclusions after slogging through page after page of dense scholarship and footnotes. It's quite a payoff. I don't see how anyone could deny the (physical, bodily) resurrection after the work Wright has done. And yet they will.