Monday, December 11, 2006

the going ons

Life in Boone, Iowa, continues to be a maturing adventure.

In recent weeks, my wife and I have been trying to make some big-time decisions. Every time we begin to talk about important issues, I hear a little voice saying, "RUN!" By God's grace, I have tried to jump into these discussions with focus. Why is it that men often run from critical moments? I think it goes back to the Garden of Eden when Adam let his poor wife get deceived by the serpent while he stood beside her mute and impotent. I don't want to be like Adam. I want to be a man who speaks, leads my wife graciously, and longs for the best, no matter the pain that often goes with choosing what's best over what may just be good. Though I fail regularly, I am learning to "man-up" during these discussions.

Also, in recent weeks our church has been going through some critical times. We are seeking the Lord for our future. We are trying to make godly decisions. We are trying to listen to the voice of God. Our church is over 100 years old, has 250 attendees and over 100 members who all have differing ideas on where God is leading us. Pray for our leaders. We need wisdom.

Recent Life Highlights: (1) I joined a basketball league that plays Sunday nights. Men in their twenties up to men in their sixties hoop it up with intensity. My body hurts this morning :) (2) I started a Bible study with a good friend. We are doing a little Bible survey to try and find the overall picture of God's story in the Old and New Testament. (3) My wife and I are almost done with Christmas shopping. We did some shopping last Thursday and then celebrated our love for each other by doing something we do very well . . . we ate delicious Italian food at the Olive Garden. I love food. (4) My pal Andy got married on Saturday and I got to see some of my ol' school buddies. (5) Also, I am really enjoying this year's Christmas season. Starting last Sunday our music director has hit the Christmas hymns hard, and I love it. What an amazing season to remember our Baby King Jesus. (6) Oh, and I finished my ordination paper. It ended up being over 4o pages full of all my ideas on God, salvation and the glorious return of Jesus Christ. Sometime in March or April I will stand before an ordination council for 5-6 hours defending my beliefs. I'm excited . . . it's a joy to minister in the Evangelical Free Church of America.

No comments: