Thursday, January 25, 2007

EFCA - Midwinter Theological Discussion - Ministerial

I have had the privilege of joining nearly 400 pastors of the Evangelical Free Church of America to worship, theological discussion and prayer. It's been in Colt's country, Indianapolis, IN. Go Colts!! :)

The conference has been about "Inerrancy, Hermeneutics and Eschatology." Since 1950, the EFCA has been a premillennial denomination, that is they believe the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ will include a literal 1,000 year reign of Jesus Christ on the throne of David where a myriad of promises found in the Old Testament for Israel will be fulfilled. There are different streams of premillennialism and we had 3 professors share from 3 particular view points: Elliott Johnson (dispensationalism), Darrell Bock (progressive dispensationalism), and Doug Moo (historic premillennialism.) Also, at the conference we had a gentleman, Greg Beal, from Wheaton College who expresses belief in something he calls "inaugurated millennialism" which is a strand of amillillennialism. Since that currently is not considered an acceptable belief in the EFCA, not many listeners concurred with Beal's assessment of Scripture, but he was a sharp guy.

It's been a good event. maybe I'll blog more in the future.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Lucky. I so wanted to go to that conference, but I would have had to use some precious vacation time. Please blog some more about it.

Noah Braymen said...

It's interesting to me that the EFCA will make a distinction on millenialism and not other issues of greater biblical emphasis...

I hear "major on the majors" all the time...my question is, "is one's view on millenialism a major?" It seems that two pastors in the same local body teaching differently in regards to Armenianism and Calvinism would be placed at a higher priority than millenialism. Maybe I'm wrong...

I realize that I'm a sinner and I am blind in many areas...it just seems that this may be a blind spot of the EFCA. Something to think about...

In Christ
Noah