Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday & Fasting

Though I'm a part of a non-liturgical evangelical community, we will celebrate Ash Wednesday tonight with our students. Ash Wednesday is a day that inaugurates 40 days of Lent leading to Resurrection Sunday. During the season of Lent, Christians are to spend time focusing on the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Specifically on Ash Wednesday, Christians mourn over their sin and groan inwardly for the redemption of our bodies and this present earth.

I encourage students to use the 40 Days of Lent to make 1 important decision that opens up greater opportunity to focus on God. Some choose to fast from junk food, recognizing that our joy and pleasure come from God alone. Some fast from TV, using that time to meditate on Scripture, pray or spend time in quiet solitude. I think it is important to either fast from something that takes up our time or attention in order to better prepare and focus on the upcoming Holy Days, Good Friday and Easter. Also, some people choose to implement an extra spiritual discipline during the Lenten season. Some will fast an extra day a week. Some will choose to read an additional portion of Scripture daily. Some will go on a prayer walk daily.

This year, I am going to fast from BLOGGING. Not only blogging, but blog reading. This takes lots of time for me, and can easily be a distraction. I hope the next 40 days gives me a greater opportunity to focus on my Savior, His Word, and His Church. Pray for me. I will be tempted to read and surf the web, but I know it is important for me to make decisions that help me stay focused on Jesus Christ.

So I've taken Google Reader off my bookmarks' toolbar and I'm ready to go.

What will you do over the next 40 days to celebrate the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ?

For those of you who are used to having some blog comments. No fear, I will see you in 6 weeks.

Seeking and Savoring Jesus Christ . . .

2 comments:

Dan said...

I'll miss you, Matt. I guess this means I'll have to send my March Madness invitation via email. Enjoy your hiatus.

Noah Braymen said...

Dude...I'm curious if you've had the urge to just blog for like 10 hours after the lent stuff. Hope all is well. How's the ordination paper coming? God bless you!

In Christ
Noah