Tuesday, April 17, 2007

ah . . . it's over



Tuesday was my ordination council. We had a group just under 40 people who made it to part or all of the day. I even put a tie on for the occasion. From 9AM-12PM and from 1-2PM (with lunch in between) I was asked numerous questions in relation to my position paper over the Evangelical Free Church of America's Statement of Faith. These 4 hours of questions were not easy, but the people asking the questions were very gracious. I definitely felt like the people in the room were cheering me on. I was also honored to have a number of people who have walked through life with me for a number of years.

Some of these honor guests were:

1. The woman who was my Fellowship of Christian Athletes huddle leader from the 7-12th grade came. If it were not for her love and constant example of Christ-following, I don't know where I'd be today. I love you Jan.
2. A number of people who were a part of my college experience came as well. A youth pastor I served under and still have as a good friend, mentor and colleague. the senior pastor of the college church I attended. A friend who was an accountability partner and member of the Navigators with me in college. There was also a gentleman who I co-led a jr high and high school small group in college. His family was a second home in college. I also have a special relationship with his now college-aged son.
3. A friend who was my first boss after college was there. He hired me to serve as a youth pastor intern under him 2002-3.
4. I also had a number of current fellow youth pastors there to support me. Thanks guys!
5. I had some good friends from my current church. These are dear co-laborers in Christ and sharers of life. Thanks to all who came.

Around 2PM, Carrie and I were kicked out of the room so "they could talk about us behind our back." I'm not sure what all went on in there, but after a half hour they brought us in to let us know I had been unanimously recommended for ordination in the EFCA. To God be the glory!!

8 comments:

Todd said...

Congratulations Matt!

Rick Penney said...

good job matt, well done. It was an honor to take part

Jen said...

Congratulations, Matt. Glad it was a joyful day.

Justin said...

Way to go Matt!

Tim Reineke said...

Congratulations Matt!

Noah Braymen said...

Congrats Matt!

B. Thomas said...

You did a fantastic job, Matt. Thanks for being so earnest about the truth of the faith. We need more guys like you!

Tim said...

What a joy. I loved it - and was impressed by your answers - and your patience and humility in the way you answered (and by the occasional humor). It was a great day!