Monday, September 10, 2007

Go Broncos!


So, I grew up in Iowa. It's a college sport state. We don't have an elite professional sports, unless the triple-A I-Cubs count.

Also, I grew up in a household with a father who cared nothing for professional sports. So, as I got older, I realized all of my peers had favorite teams and I did not. I never could decide on a team, and any time I got ready to choose a team, I recognized I was just a front-runner (the worst name-calling of all on 4th grade playgrounds)!

But all is different. When I was in the process of choosing graduate schools, I committed to become a loyal sports' enthusiast of whatever city (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Chicago or Denver) I ended up in. Oh, some of you will say that's just silly . . . but who really knows why an individual chooses one team over another. There's no science or structured rules (unlike calling for "shotgun" in high school) to choosing your teams. So, here I am in Denver, Colorado, proud that MY FOOTBALL TEAM is 1-0 after Week 1!! Their victory was beautiful and in stellar fashion. Yeah Baby! Go Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, and the Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League, and the Crush of the Arena Football League. Hear that? We even got a professional lacrosse team!

Yeah, baby . . . no more fair-weather fan! I bleed Denver sports :)

On a sad note, my alma mater, Iowa State University, is 0-2 in their football season and it could be 0-12 in a few more weeks. Luckily, there's hope in their new coach!!

No comments: