Monday, September 24, 2007

spiritual constipation . . .


so, I am at seminary, falsely thought to be "devotions on steroids" for future pastors. It's rigorous academic work that takes time, effort and thought. At the same time, I am learning a lot about God, His word, ministry etc. When I was serving as a youth pastor, I'd teach regularly 2-3 times a week. So, I was constantly digesting things of God and then offering them to other audiences.

At this stage in my life, I am not teaching on a regular basis. My soul, brain and heart are being filled with all kinds of things concerning God, but instead of allowing these things to flow out, they are just being crammed into the "to be used later" section of my brain. This cramming or stuffing of information has created a feeling that I have labeled "spiritual constipation." The way God has wired me makes me love to give out information. I am a teacher and a preacher. When this is not happening on regular basis, I feel a little off.

but God is faithful. I have 2 big ministry opportunities ahead:

On October 5th I have the privilege of performing the wedding ceremony for my sister Heather and her fiance Jase. It's going to be fun to tell my older sister everything she needs to do to have a great marriage. (don't worry I'm not going to talk down on her like that)

November 16-18 I have the privilege of teaching at a jr. high/high school retreat for South Suburban EFC in Minnesota. I loves students and miss youth work big time. We'll have tons of fun that weekend!

I can feel the pressure of "spiritual constipation" lessening as we speak. Feels good!

No comments: