Thursday, November 15, 2007

I married my sister, a divorced woman, and two of my buddies



Okay . . . probably by the title you might already be tracking with where I am going, but it is interesting that in the English language one can mean one thing whereas others can read it a totally different way.
Two weeks ago in my NT class with Craig Blomberg as the professor we were were discussing the statements Jesus made about marriage and divorce. I just so happened to engage in the conversation by saying that I had married a divorced woman and thus my opinion was X. Well, it took a week for me to understand that the majority of the class believed my dear wife Carrie had been married previously (not true). The verbiage I had chosen actually meant I had performed the wedding ceremony for a divorced woman. Needless to say, my wife was not the most thrilled to think that the class of 50+ students and the professor all thought my wife was married previously (which would have been quite a short marriage since I married her when she was 20).
This past Tuesday in class, with tail between legs, I publicly exonerated my dear wife. I also apologized for not being as clear as I should have been. Now the class knows . . . and now via the great world wide web the world knows of my silly mistake!

2 comments:

Shane Vander Hart said...

Ah yes. Clarity is a good thing.

T.J. Gehman said...

I'm glad you were able to clear that up Matt. :) I'm excited for your opportunity to speak in Minnesota. I'm praying for you. God bless.