Friday, May 09, 2008

Late Night Thoughts from the "bachelor"

A long time ago I realized that only about 3 people read this blog, but for some reason that does not keep me from posting away. But I realized one thing. Something that is a very good thing for ALL of my loyal readers. I realized this in light of my wife and son being off in Michigan this weekend. I am home alone attempting to study (I watched the movie "3:10 to Yuma" tonight in lieu of an entire night of the books). Well, this is what I recognized . . . (drum roll) . . . (yet more pausing for the sake of audience tension/frustration) . . . I would blog a lot more if I was a true bachelor. There's something powerful about the silence of one's own thoughts that moves them to be more expressive. Just sitting here in my living room alone creates all kinds of deep thoughts. Now a lot of "deep thoughts" can be just more reasons to keep from studying. Also, there's something relationally satisfying to know that even though I am alone right now typing by myself in an empty room, someone will read this (someONE will read this) later. As humans, we were created for community. We long to be connected to other beings. We long to share our hopes and dreams. It's sad to think that many people do all of their sharing via the world wide web. Luckily for me, I share my life most days with a woman that I love deeply and a son I adore. I don't need this fairy-tale imaginative dreamworld of the web. I still see the internet, blogs, social networks and the like as beneficial in some regard, but deep down these moments of stillness, remind me that I have been created to know and share my life with human beings. The deepest relationship available is with my Lord, but I think it is paramount that the Lord established local churches for humans to share their lives and dreams with. I am already longing for the joy of Sunday morning fellowship and worship, and I desperately long for eternity when all my loneliness and soulsearching finds its end in eternal fellowship with Christ Jesus and His family.

6 comments:

Noah Braymen said...

amen brother!

Matt Proctor said...

my loyal reader . . . cheers to you

The Royal Bookworm said...

Still reading...

shanevanderhart said...

Another one of your loyal readers - so I guess we've accounted for the three?

You are right that silence and solitude does much to inspire deep thought. Which I think is one reason we should incorporate it into our practice of spiritual disciplines. How can we truly meditate on a passage and hear from the Lord when we are surrounded continually by noise in our life?

Anonymous said...

I think you have underestimated your readership! I also long for a couple of weeks from now when my friends will return to Iowa. One friend will team up with my wife and they will be beaten at Rook by two superior players (how was that for smack talk?). For your other reader's sake, I will not mention who usually wins and who usually loses...
Scott

Luke said...

I think the blog explosion is an extension of the desire to be known. What better way than to put down our thoughts for others to read? You do a good job of actually reflecting on important issues or deep thoughts rather than just mindlessly rambling--that's why I read you.

I enjoy your blog by the way--both the reflective portions and the picture updates of the life of Samuel. Oh, to be a worry free youngster again!