Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Thoughts on women in ministry:

I am currently in class that is studying the Pastoral Epistles. Often in this class we discuss the various teachings that Paul had on church roles for men and women. This can be a very emotionally charged subject, but I think it is an important dialog.

I read something today from a respected New Testament Greek Professor, Dr. Daniel Wallace, that speaks similarly to how I feel most days on this topic:

"I must confess: attitudinally, I am an egalitarian. I find what scripture says on these matters very difficult to swallow at times. However, I am positionally a complementarian because I can't go against my conscience. For me at least, to read these passages in an egalitarian way is to do some exegetical gymnastics in which one twists and turns the text to conform it to their views . . . By the way, I think that Doug Moo's articles on 1 Tim 2:.11-15, posted at bible.org, should be a great summary of the exegetical reasons for a complementarian view of that passage. He has done perhaps the best exegesis of this passage in print."

Read the whole thing by Dr. Wallace: http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=6133

Read Dr. Moo's article: http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=2829

1 comment:

Dan Leman said...

We just covered 1 Corinthians in my Paul class, and we spent a whole lecture on head coverings and speaking in church. And it wasn't nearly enough time. My head is spinning. But maybe my hair is just too long.