Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thoughts on death at a tough time . . .

Having just celebrated the life and mourned the death of a family member, I was struck today by the words of another pastor on how we ought to do to prepare for our own death. These are sobering, but I believe true words.

I don't want you to go into final judgment. I've prayed and worked, even wept, that you would repent. But nobody forced you to sin, not even once were you forced; and nobody forced you to live your life defying God in the particular way you did it. I am not your judge, and for that I thank God. You answer to Someone a million times higher than I. You may be my father, my mother, my sister, my brother, or my child, but I defer the handling of your case to the Lord, who is the only one who can be trusted to do the right thing by you. God is no sadist. He orchestrated the murder of his own Son for you, so that you could be offered redemption. The suffering in your life that you blamed on God, would have been healed by God, if you had brought them to Him, but you refused. Instead, you used them as another excuse to live how you please. I've chosen my side. When the final judgment day comes, I won't feel any divided loyalties. I won't be happy for your judgment, but I won't be un-happy with my Lord, either. I recognize that you are individual living life in the sight of the God who made you for Himself, and I know that, in the end, you will have to stand before God as you, with me standing by and watching from the sidelines. -Pastor Jack Brooks

O, how I long for all my friends and family to put their faith in the Savior Jesus Christ. Death is the most sobering reality for every person because of our sin, but for those who embrace Christ as their Savior and Lord there is hope, rich abundant, eternal hope.

No comments: