Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cover Letter Opening Paragraph

So, this repeated process of sending our resumes and cover letters has led me to rethink how I ought to begin my introductory paragraph to my cover letter. What do you think?

The Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 11:23 ventured to say he was “out of his mind” to give a laundry list of reasons why his apostleship was valid and that the “super-apostles” of Corinth were mere impostors. In many ways, I think resumes and cover letters end up being a demonstration of similar foolishness. On one hand, a resume attempts to vaunt oneself forward as a stand-out candidate above all the others. On the other, however, it is human pride to think accomplishments, degrees, and experience are anything but examples of God’s abundant grace. To lay hold to these moments of grace as any sort of pedigree worthy of hire is ignorance par excellence. Apart from Christ, I am a condemned sinner with nothing to offer a congregation. Apart from Christ, I have been a liar, manipulator, thief, blasphemer, etc. etc. Like Paul, I see myself as the chief of sinners, desperately in need of God’s moment-to-moment grace. And yet, like Paul I know by God’s calling on my life, confirmed by the Spirit and other believers, that He has gifted me and prepared me to be a local church pastor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. It puts into words who you really are and your approach to ministry. It also shows your willingness to be transparent and the importance that you place upon God's grace.

Scott

Lynne said...

Sorry to be Simon Cowell here, but I think it's way too long, and comes across as if you think you're above the process.

Anonymous said...

This is Jack B, btw. Somehow I'm in here w/my wife's account!