Monday, May 24, 2010

Life Update - A.S. (after seminary)




On May 15th, I went through commencement at Denver Seminary. It was a very special service and I was challenged by President Mark Young's message from 2 Cor. 5:13-14. In the pictures above you can see my immediate family, then a pic of my mom, dad, and brother (Heeth), and then a picture with my great mother-in-law (Peg), her husband Pete (and my gifted, former employer), and Carrie's grandma Betty (a very special great grandma who came all the way from Conde, SD). It was great having them at the ceremony and around for the weekend festivities.

After graduation, Carrie and I with the boys spend a week at a cabin in Fairplay, CO (about 30 minutes south of Breckenridge). We went on a few hikes (hence the final picture); we went on a tour of an 1880s mining town (http://www.southparkcity.org/); and we also ate all kinds of good food at the cabin and at various restaurants. The goal was to rest and then reflect on the last 3 years of life (what went well/poorly/etc.) We made some goals for the coming year. And we created a Rule of Life to be implemented now and in the coming year.

And now what's next? (at least that's the million dollar question)

Answer: "We're not sure." We move back to IA next week to live with Carrie's dad in Hiawatha, IA. Then, we await God's final direction for our family. We have had some good conversations and interviews and we have a sense where the Lord is leading. We pray, hope, and sense, Lord willing, a church will call me to be their pastor this summer. I'd love to give you all the juicy details, but instead, I will wait until the Lord reveals His plans in His time. Please pray for final confirmation and for His continued peace in our lives (Isa. 26:3).



Currently Reading (if you were wondering what people read when they graduate from seminary):

Institutes of the Christian Religion  by John Calvin

The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Matt! We're so proud of this accomplishment. I cannot wait to see the place where God will choose to use your gifts. Great job friend!

Scott

Victoria said...

I am an editor for Christian.com which is a social network dedicated to the christian community. As I look through your web site I feel a collaboration is at hand. I would be inclined to acknowledge your website offering it to our users as I'm sure our Christian reformed audience would benefit from what your site has to offer. I look forward to your thoughts or questions regarding the matter.

Vicky Silvers
vicky.silvers@gmail.com