Thursday, May 13, 2010

Top Ten Books Read Outside of Class During Seminary

TOP TEN BOOKS READ, BUT NOT ASSIGNED, DURING MY TIME AT DENVER SEMINARY (in no particular order):

1. Preaching & Preachers by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: this is, in my opinion, still the best preaching book on the market. It gets to both the form and foundation of preaching.
2. Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin: a short business book that takes the practices of the greatest people in their field (Mozart, Tiger Woods, etc.) and shows us that hard work is what pays (not necessarily inborn talent).
3. Emotionally Healthy Church, The by Peter Scazzero: I reread this book just a few weeks ago and I think it is a must-read for every pastor and volunteer Christian leader.
4. Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald: I recommend most of Gordon's books, but I really enjoyed this early book. I especially liked the breakfast we had with Dr. MacDonald when we had finished the book so we could ask questions and process his professional life.
5. Charles Simeon of Cambridge A Biography by Hugh Evan Hopkins: I loved this biography. It demonstrates the importance of faithfulness in the pulpit and faithfulness in disciple-making. This lifelong bachelor, by God's grace and Spirit, changed England, one life at a time.
6. Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church by Michael Horton: if you have ever felt the church can become a watered-down version of the true Gospel, Horton offers the antidote.
7. The Complete Novels of Jane Austen (Wordsworth Library Collection) I read aloud quite a bit of Jane Austen while in seminary with my wife. We watched several movie adaptations to boot. Jane Austen is probably one of the greatest writers of the English language. I commend all her works, especially if you read her aloud.
8. A Little Exercise for Young Theologians by Helmust Thielicke: I read this after my first semester of seminary. It was later assigned, but I had read it before it had been assigned. This is a must-read for any person who considers themselves a lover of theology.
9. Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry by John Piper: the best modern day description on what it means to be a pastor in the 21st century.
10. Christian Theology, by A. Clarke, Selected from His Writings, with a Life of the Author by S. Dunn by Adam Clarke: thought I disagree with some of Adam Clarke's conclusions, I believe his section on the doctrine of God may be some of the best material ever written.

No comments: