Tuesday, June 22, 2010

New Series in Matthew

For the two of you who wanted to keep apprised of my upcoming messages and how to download them, I thought I'd let you know that on July 11th I will be preaching for the first time as the officially called pastor of Cornerstone Church. I will begin preaching through the book of Matthew. All sermons can be downloaded at http://cornerstone-marion.org/cgi-bin/dir2.pl

Here are a few of the books I will be using to prepare messages:


D.A. Carson's Matthew Commentary in the Expositor's Bible Commentary - a classic work by a classy professor from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School

 
Hagner, D. A. Matthew (WBC), Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. - From the Word Biblical Commentary Series, an evangelical, word by word exegesis commentary series.      

Schreiner, T. R. New Testament Theology: Magnifying God in Christ  - A Biblical Theology of the entire New Testament - to make sure as I preach Matthew, I keep the message within the greater message of the New Testament.

Wilkins, M. J. Matthew - From the NIV Application Commentary Series - for a balance of exegesis and application.

France, R. T. The Gospel of Matthew (New International Commentary on the New Testament). G.R.: Eerdmans, 2007 - One of the newest and and most updated commentaries on Matthew (dealing with some recent scholarship issues) from a godly, British scholar.

Michael Green's The Message of Matthew - Another classic work.

A.C. Gaebelein's The Gospel of Matthew - an old-school Dispensationalist at work, with some superb observations.

Not to mention, John Stott's Sermon on the Mount and Martyn Lloyd Jones' Sermon on the Mount

Dallas Willard's A Divine Conspiracy - a book about making the Sermon on the Mount, practical for everyday Christian living.



1 comment:

Dan Leman said...

Sounds like a good one. I may be getting to Matthew around the first of the year, so you can bet I'll be paying attention to how you do it.