Saturday, June 26, 2010

Reflections on Pastoral Ministry (one week in)

1. I am not very good at being "slow to speak, quick to listen" (James 1:19). If I am going to love people well, the Spirit must sanctify my mouth.

2. A church needs a loving shepherd, not a decision-making leader. (And yet, a loving shepherd will lead and make decisions.)

3. If I fail to make the Word of God, properly interpreted and empowered by the Holy Spirit, the centerpiece of all ministry (visitation, preaching, counseling, vision-setting, etc.), then there is no way the ministry will be of the Lord.

4. A pastor is only one of the many gifted and called leaders within a church. A pastor without an elder board serving beside is a vigilante without accountability, guidance, or support. Praise be to God, I have godly men who want to do ministry together, not just delegate work to the pastor.

5. A pastor who does not pray to the Triune God is like a football team who ignores the coach (of Vince Lombardi-like abilities). Victory is unlikely, and foolishness will abound. Sad to say, I ran a few plays this week without my coach's wisdom.

6. A pastor who neglects his family disqualifies himself for leadership (1 Tim. 3:4). In fact, a pastor who strives to honor his family IS doing pastoral ministry. I will need to be a better father and husband in the weeks to come.

7. The Spirit must guide and move. The pastor is not the leader. God is. O Spirit, please teach us where you're working that we might join in your work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a neat post. -Sarah Banowetz

Drew Hill said...

I miss Doctor Proctor.

Sarah said...

I admire your honesty and transparency. You are on your way to being a great pastor! - Sarah Banks