Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My One Month Anniversary, a Prayer Request, and a Recommendation

First a praise, then a prayer request, and then a recommendation:

PRAISE: Today, I celebrate one month as the pastor of Cornerstone Church (www.cornerstone-marion.org) (CC). It's been a special month since my first day on June 21. I have met wonderful people and am seeing exciting ministry days ahead.

PRAYER REQUEST: I'm also excited to spend the next 30 hours or so with the elders of CC. These servant-leaders meet in about 4 hours for a 30 hours prayer and panning retreat. We will talk about what it means to be an elder; what it means to equip saints for the Great Commission; what it means to follow the Head (Jesus Christ) of the church;, and then how to leverage the time, talent and treasure of those in the church family to fulfill our role in the Great Commission. It's a noble task (1 Timothy 3:1).

RECOMMENDATION: I came across a useful resource in the last few days that we will look at during the retreat. It is a 40ish page booklet on Biblical Eldership. You can download a copy here: http://www.johnbunyan.org/PDFs/beld.pdf
I recommend this booklet for all Christians to know how to pray for their leaders, but I especially commend the booklet to those wanting to serve and those currently serving in church leadership. The insights of this booklet come from a longer and valuable resource by Alexander Strauch entitled, Biblical Eldership.

No comments: