Friday, August 20, 2010

When earth has no balm for my healing -- A Tribute to Kathleen Olson

This past week, Cornerstone Church lost a beloved sister in Christ, Kathleen Olson. Kathleen was only 46 years old; she leaves behind a husband and three adorable children (grades 3rd, 5th, and 7th). On August 28, 2009 she was diagnosed with stage-4 cancer. She had a tough fight, but in the end the disease won out. You can read more on this page provided by the Murdoch Funeral Home.

Back in Spring 2010, Kathleen sang at a family funeral in a quintet the song "Under His Wings." In the youtube video below, you can listen to the performance. In verse 3, Kathleen takes a solo where she sings of the solace God still offers to those He loves, even "when earth has no balm for my healing." It reminds me of the great promises found in Romans 8:28-39 for those who have put their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation:

28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.  31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written:
   "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.



Here are the song lyrics (note verse 3) and video:

Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild,
Still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me, and I am His child.

Refrain

Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.

Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort, and there I am blessed.

Refrain

Under His wings, oh, what precious enjoyment!
There will I hide till life’s trials are o’er;
Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me,
Resting in Jesus, I’m safe evermore.

Refrain


2 comments:

Sarah Banowetz said...

Thank you for the video. It's awesome.

Jeff Olson said...

Thank you for your kind tribute.