Monday, December 20, 2010

The Silent and Silencing Servant - Isaiah 52:13-53:12

Like a lamb to the slaughter, like a silent sheep before its shearers, Jesus went and died on Calvary for the sins of the world. The Silent Servant's act is so marvelous that it makes kings shut their mouths in a paralyzing silence (Isaiah 52:15). I hope my most recent sermon helps you stand in awe of the Servant of the LORD who came not to be served, but to serve and give his life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45).

Download my sermon here: "The Silent and Silencing Servant" - Isaiah 52:13-53:12, the 4th sermon in our series "Singing for the Servant," on the Servant Songs of Isaiah.

In addition, I want to encourage you to listen to John Piper's sermons on Isaiah 52-53. I read through all of his sermons this week in order to prepare my own sermon. Some of his ideas made it into my final sermon too. Go to this site to find all of John Piper's sermons in the book of Isaiah: http://desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/by-scripture/isaiah   I quote Piper in at least one place, but on another occasion I reworded (but failed to give him credit for) this particularly thought-provoking line in one of his sermons on Isaiah 53: "When you read the story of your salvation in detail 700 years before it happened, you have not only revelation, but validation.”

No comments: