Thursday, September 19, 2013

My shocking sin...

Rosaria Champagne Butterfield writes in her memoir, The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert, “Are our testimonies honoring to the whole landscape of the Christian journey? Not if they only speak of the ‘how-shocking-was-my-sin-before-I-met-the-Lord’ story. (As though the sin I commit today is less shocking.) Not if they only share the safe feelings, rehearsed responses, and good ‘decisions’ for which we give ourselves unearned credit.”

In other words, if you tell someone how you became a Christian and in so doing you make yourself look good, you've failed miserably.

This was a nice introduction to a book that describes her journey from being "a leftist, lesbian professor" (her words) into a life of following Jesus Christ (and in so doing leaving behind her former life).

As I reflect personally, I confess that I was a sin-infested young boy when I became a follower of Jesus. Today, with eyes wide open after walking with Jesus for 20 years, I still feel the sin infestation alive and well. I still need grace, redemption, and the good news of the Gospel. My sin is more shocking than it was before...because I'm less ignorant to what I'm doing to God, others, and myself.

I need a Savior today just like I needed Him the first day I cried out to Him.


1 comment:

Tony and Lisa said...

Amen. I wish your blog had a "like" button.
Lisa