Monday, June 27, 2016
1) Where lying is unacceptable.
2) Adultery forbidden.
3) Forgiveness encouraged.
4) Second chances offered.
5) The lazy challenged to work.
6) The working challenged to help.
7) Wives respecting husbands.
8) Husbands cherishing and loving wives.
9) Children raised with engaged parents.
10) People rejoicing in other people's success rather than coveting and clawing for their share of the pie.
Note: This is the type of community depicted in the Bible that is expected of Christian people. This is the "horrible, dangerous, dehumanizing ethics" of conservative Christianity.
My church isn't perfect, but we refuse to change the ideal set before us for 2000 years. We don't want to lighten a single command of God's Word because we'd lose the beauty of excellence if we'd ever hit our target.
This "impossible" ideal is also what sends us to Jesus for forgiveness, salvation, and the hope of renewal.