Thursday, January 19, 2017

Why I'm deactivating Facebook

So, I'm leaving Facebook...soon.

My 5 reasons:

1) I want to read things that have been proven by time to be worth reading.

2) I get sucked into drama that distracts me from the drama that deserves my attention (my wife, my kids, my friends, my family, my church). I don't want my kids to have to ask me to turn off my phone.

3) I worship at the idol of fame, and too often that idol takes the form of social media. Why do I care so much? A wise man once said, "Be killing sin or it will be killing you." The wisest man, Jesus, said, "It's better to rip off a sinful thing, arm, eye, in your life than to go to hell with it still there."

4) I looked at Facebook for 2 hours total between Jan-October 2016. I was more productive, less distracted, and better relationally. I came back to it fully for 2 months and I got addicted to "it" again quickly. I'm not even sure what "it" is, but whatever "it" is, "it" has taken my affections away from Jesus. And affections for Jesus are the sweetest things in the world.

5) This will help my prayer life. I said I wanted to be on Facebook to see how my friends and family were doing to pray for them. Turns out, I spend more time scrolling and less time praying. Hopefully, if the scrolling is absent, I'll just do the praying regarding the many concerns I receive in more personal ways.

More spiritual people than me use this tool effectively. God bless you and may God use you on a medium that ate my lunch. If others are like me, feel free to join the club.

Please feel free to leave a comment if you hope to maintain contact with me. We'll figure out a way to share personal information.

No comments: